Sunday, July 29, 2012

A BRIEF MOMENT IN TORONTO ISLAND

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings; 
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow, 
And evening full of the linnet's wings. 

I will arise and go now, for always night and day 
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore; 
 While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.


rom "The Lake Isle of Innisfree"
~ by Willaim Butler Yeats ~
 
Toronto City viewed from the ferry
image copied from Wikipedia:
Toronto Island seen from CN Tower

 
Toronto Island is an island which is located on Lake 
Ontario. To get there, you have to take a ferry which
leaves every 1/2 hour.
 

It was a Wednesday and there were not many people could
be seen. We went exploring on foot and were glad the 
weather was good.
 
Basically, people would come here either to relieve all the stress just by gazing into the space where the darker blue horizon of the lake water meets the brighter shade of the sky, or by sitting on the grass and rejuvenating while enjoying the peaceful surrounding.

 If you are a more active type of person, then you can always jog, swim, cycle or row your boat gently down the stream or around the island. The air was a bit cold so no one was seen swimming though.

 It reminds me of the poem "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" taught to the lower secondary students which aptly describes Toronto Island. (I am sure many of my students and ex-students still remember this poem.) Too bad, we are not reading it in school anymore, or else I would have an excellent visual aids for the class.

 

a lighthouse in the background
While we were walking, there would be natural 
cotton (in Malay language it is called "kekabu") flying
around in the air. I felt as if I was starring one of
the romance) movies where the actor/actress (usually
actress) would be running through small bits of flying
cotton which will then get stuck on the hair.




 
Instead of the sign 'DO NOT WALK ON THE GRASS', we found this very interesting board written with 'PLEASE WALK ON THE GRASS'. I am sure if the time is right, there would be people basking under the sun during summer time. By the way, there was a spot called "optional beach" (read: nude) but of course we did not go there. The air was cold on that day, remember?

on and off the ferry
It was a brief moment spent in an island on a lake but it had a lasting impression. I could still hear its lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore and I hear it in the deep heart's core.

No comments:

Post a Comment