Thursday, March 31, 2016

MY FIRST TIME AT HWA MUI


Hwa Mui is THE coffee shop in Johor Bahru town. When I was in primary school, my late father used to take me for coffee and toast at its original premise (which is still in existence and operating) at Jalan Wong Ah Fook. However, I had never been there ever since despite its popularity, even among outsiders.




Today someone suggested visiting Hwa Mui for a change, instead of our regular eating spots in Taman Universiti. So there I was for the first time, at the new place in Taman Sutera. It is better late than never.






Since it was quite late for lunch so I settled for its "kaya" toasts and tea [traditional jam made from eggs, coconut milk and sugar]. So it is now no longer the old school "kopitiam" [a Chinese word which means "coffee shop] and there will be a lot of items on the menu for you to choose. While many Malays/Muslims are quite reluctant to dine in a Chinese-owned coffee shop. Hwa Mui is an exception here in Johor Bahru.

Thanks to Mr. Shahril for the treat so it will be my turn for our next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment