Monday, April 4, 2016

THE NIGHT MARKETS IN SIEM REAP


Similar to other Asian countries like Hong Kong, Thailand and Vietnam, the night markets are one of the attractions here in the city of Siem Reap. There are actually a few night markets "connected" to each other. However, I found that the stalls/shops were selling almost the same merchandise. And some of them were the same items that you could also buy from Vietnam and Thailand.


You have to hone your bargaining skills here, as usual. Nevertheless, I found the hawkers or stall operators were not as aggressive as the ones I met in other cities.












There was this place called "Pub Street" because there were a lot of pubs located here, hence the name. The drinking shops were swarmed by tourists mostly westerners.




My favourite night market was the one called "Art Centre Night Market". I found a stall operated by a Muslim woman named Syty [pronounced as /siti/] but she could not speak Malay. The good news was that she cold speak good English so we had some conversation too while shopping. I could buy souvenir items like key chains and fridge magnets at lower prices here without bargaining. Of course I had done some survey at other places before so comparatively speaking, I got my souvenirs much cheaper here.















I was glad that I found this place so I did not have to go through the hassle of the bargaining process. If you plan to get your souvenirs from Siem Reap, this place is higly recommended. It is very easy to find the shop - it is situated at the row of stalls facing the river/moat that is lighted with colourful lights.

On the last night in Siem Reap, our tuk tuk driver took us to another night market which was not touristy and meant for the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment