Sunday, June 26, 2016

CHIANG KAI-SHEK MEMORIAL HALL - PART 1


After observing and admiring the huge complex, it was time to visit the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall - the huge white building. The first task was to climb up the stairs to reach the hall. After all the walking, at that time I was only thinking what had I done to put myself in such situation. It was equivalent to a 4-storey building and I was only hoping that I would get slimmer once I went back from Taipei. Actually that was not the only entrance available. There were other entrances on its sides, and visitors could take the elevators/lifts to get to the hall.









There was this gigantic statue of Chiang Kai-Shek sitting majestically while being guarded by two army officers. This so much reminded of my visit to the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. a few years back, except there were no guards there.

Read about the history Chiang Kai-Shek, of one of the world's prominent political figures HERE.

Click HERE to see the statue of Abraham Lincoln.








It was almost 11:00 a.m. and people were already standing at the hall. We were waiting anxiously for the changing of guards ceremony that took place every hour. This has become one of the major attractions there.

wiping the comrade's sweat





The way the soldiers marched was different from the regular marching style. I wonder whether that was done for ceremonial or entertainment purpose. Nevertheless, it was really unique and the army officers must had been drilled for long hours for the ceremony.







I will post the video of the changing of the guards ceremony once it is published on Youtube. It is still uploading  s l o w l y .....

No comments:

Post a Comment