Tuesday, March 7, 2017

MY VERY FIRST REAL LIFE EARTHQUAKE EXPERIENCE IN MEDAN


31st January 2017 ~ So what was the most significant moment that I encountered during my Medan trip? Definitely my real life encounter with a brief earthquake in Berastagi. It was about 10:00 p.m. and the three of us were happily chatting in the hotel room, sharing some ghost stories. (We boys didn't gossip, you see.) Suddenly, I heard/felt these clattering sounds, and I was looking at Mr. Irham, who was sitting beside me on the sofa, and he was looking at me, big-eyed. And we just ran out of the room for our lives, and comically, Mr. Azry who was on the bed could not really understand what was happening to us but he followed suit a few seconds after. (I had been discussing with Irham about my worry of the earthquake thingy even before arriving in Medan which was struck with a massive 5.9 Richter scale quake 2 weeks before).

We were the first to be out of the hotel building and after that, other occupants started to vacate their rooms. The shaking lasted only for about 4-5 seconds, and we waited and waited outside for more tremors but (THANK GOD) there were none. After about 5 minutes, we went back into our room. However, we were more prepared this time and we put all the important documents in our bags near the door, so we could grab them in case of emergency. I asked them not to put the door latch so we could save more time if we had to make an escape later.

Alhamdulillah, thank you Allah, there were no aftershocks after that and we all slept (like logs) and if there were any tremors, I might not be able to feel them.

That was my first ever real life experience, and I really hope I will not have to go through the same horrifying moment again. 

[MY MEDAN TRIP MAIN PAGE]

No comments:

Post a Comment