Monday, December 25, 2017

BOOK REVIEW - "VELOCITY: A MEMOIR"


I read another autobiography - this time written by an Australian, Mandy Sayer. She was telling about her difficult and troubled childhood, coming from a broken family. Being a single mother, her mom seemed just could not be independent without a man beside her and unfortunately, she chose to live with someone who was abusive. The mother herself was an alcoholic and had attempted suicide numerous times. They ran away from Sydney to Melbourne, and yet, the man still managed to track them down. Despite all the difficult times she had to face, the writer still attended school, completed her education and survived.

I think almost all the autobiographies I read had very sad beginnings, especially when the writers were all growing up. Sayer had successfully told her story living in Sydney in 1960's and I am glad I am familiar with many of the places mentioned in the plot. 

I am already reading another book, but I don't think I could finish it before the school reopens next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment