Monday, January 17, 2011

17th DECEMBER - VISITING OTHER [FREE] MUSEUMS AROUND SYDNEY

(1) MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART










The first museum I visited was the Museum of Contemporary Art. There were exhibitions of paintings by an Aborigine artist and more complicated materials on the fourth floor. Although it might be too contemporary for me, I still enjoyed the exhibits a lot. Camera was not allowed here so there were no pictures taken inside.

(2) CADMAN'S COTTAGE



















It is said that Cadman's Cottage is Sydney's oldest colonial building that remains until now. I cannot remember much of the function of this historic building (you go google on your own) but we were told (during the last group tour) that Mr. Cadman was sent to Australia from England for stealing a horse.

(3) THE ROCKS DISCOVERY MUSEUM























The Rocks Discovery Museum focused on history of the place itself, The Rocks. It was the place where the early immigrants (or convicts) to Australia settled down and started new chapters in their lives. Great exhibits of the remains of the past could be seen here. Although the place was quite small, it still provided a new insight into the history of Australia.

After all the exploring of Sydney of my own for three days, I have already learned a lot about the history of the city and Australia. And after three days, I could now walk the major streets of Sydney to well-known places without a map which should be an achievement of a lifetime considering the fact that I do not travel that frequently. I am thinking of working as a part-time tour guide in Sydney soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment