Wednesday, March 22, 2017

BOOK REVIEW - DAVID BALDACCI'S "ONE SUMMER"


This was the book I finished reading during my travel to and from Osaka.The long flight to and fro had made it possible for me to finish reading the 339 pages story, a light family drama that does not require a lot of thinking to be done while digesting it. I better write about this while I still remember what the story and the names of the characters.

Jack, a war "veteran", was diagnosed with a (rare) terminal disease that could not be cured and was waiting for death to come. (I suddenly remember the line in the poem I learned in college:  because I could not stop for death so he kindly stopped for me.) He was worried that he had to leave his very much beloved wife Elizabeth and the three children, but thing was turned: Elizabeth died in a car accident when she was getting his husband's medication. The plot got complicated as who would now take care of the three children as Jack was immobile and he himself needed others' assistance to live. To know how the story ends, you better read this yourself. I just can tell you it ends in a happy note, to my delight.

I just found out Baldacci has other novels too and there is a movie adapted from this very novel. One of these days, I will need to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment